VistaDB 6.1 is now available for download. Here are some of the highlights for the new update:
Now Supporting .NET 5
VistaDB 6 introduced .NET Standard and .NET Core Support. With 6.1, we have added support for .NET 5! .NET 5 is the newest version of .NET Core, with a new focus on performance and a continued focus on multiplatform development. For us, that makes it a great pairing with VistaDB for developing even better applications on Windows, Linux, Mac, and of course, mobile.
This doesn’t mean that other versions of .NET are have been left behind. The newest version of Vista DB supports these versions of .NET:
- .NET Framework 4.5.1 - The oldest version of .NET Framework supported by VistaDB 6.
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 - To prevent .NET 4.6.1 from using the .NET Standard 2.0 version.
- .NET Standard 2.0 - For older versions of Xamarin Android, iOS, and Mac and newer versions of .NET Framework
- .NET Standard 2.1 - For .NET Core 3.* and newer Xamarin Android, iOS, and Mac.
- .NET 5.0 - For the latest .NET Core (e.g. .NET 5) and Xamarin.
To make it easier to use VistaDB in new projects that target multiple versions of the framework the VistaDB assemblies are provided as NuGet packages for local use instead of as individual assemblies.
Improved Locks for Single Process Usage
For VistaDB 6.0, we pushed to improve locks for Single Process Usage, and we have continued making improvements included in the 6.1 release. We have boosted the performance compared to 6.0, and the locks are consistently granted in a more fair first-come-first-served manner when multiple connections are waiting on the same table lock.
No code changes on your part are required to take advantage of these upgrades, as long as your application uses SingleProcessReadWrite or SingleProcessReadOnly open modes already.
This release includes bug fixes for the VistaDB engine, the data migration wizard, and fixes targeted for VistaDB on Mac and Linux. You can check out our full release notes in the link below and give version 6.1 a try for yourself!